Here are some questions I frequently get from parents of dyslexic kids or who have children they suspect to have dyslexia.
1. Do I need to send my child for an assessment?
It’s a good idea if you suspect that they have dyslexia. Good to rule out possibilities and also figure out intervention options.
2. How much does an assessment cost?
$0 for MOE but wait 6-12 months.
$750 for DAS, wait time 4-6 weeks.
$1,500 for a private psychologist, within a week or two.
3. How do I get a Mother Tongue Exemption?
Apply through the form teacher at the general office. But do note that MOE is more stingy these days with Mother Tongue exemptions.
4. What’s the difference between a regular tutor and an educational therapist?
Educational Therapists are trained, have a certificated and qualifications. Ability to do an informal assessment to figure out the needs of the child. Use more multi-sensory methods of teaching.
5. Can dyslexia be cured?
Nope, but it can be managed and kids can live a fulfilling life.
6. How do I know if my child has dyslexia?
Screening tests at DAS. The psychological testing only way to be 100% sure.
7. How long would educational therapy intervention take before results are seen?
It usually takes 2 – 3 years of intervention to catch up with peers. But progress can be made in 3 – 4 terms where there can be a slight improvement in spelling if the child is in lower primary and unable to read at all.
8. Is it genetic?
Likely. Based on these research papers, it most likely is.
9. How do I get a time extension for National exams (i.e. PSLE, ‘O’ Levels, ‘A’ Levels)?
Apply through the form teacher at the general office, also submitting a psychological report that’s been done within the past 3 years.
10. Why do I need to do another psychological testing for my child? I’ve already done it once some time back?
Because they expire after 3 years and are no longer valid
I hope this has been useful. For more information, feel free to email us at email@example.com or call/Whatsapp us at +65 8749 2441.